Change a card's limit
If you’re an admin, you can easily adjust the spending limit on any of your team’s debit cards from your Mercury dashboard. This allows you keep a tighter control on spending and stick to daily or monthly budgets.
Here’s how to do it:
- Log in to your Mercury dashboard.
- Go to Cards from the left sidebar menu.
- Click on the card with the limit you would like to edit to open the card details.
- Click More, then select Adjust Limits.
- You can select a monthly or daily spending limit depending on the needs of your business. Daily limits give you more granular control, while monthly limits are a little more flexible.
If you're planning a purchase that requires a limit higher than the dashboard allows, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with an invoice or contract representing the larger purchase. We’ll review your request to determine whether we can raise the card limit to that amount.
If a charge exceeds your limit
Card limits are meant to help control spending and not prevent good-faith transactions from a merchant. In that spirit, there are a few totally legitimate reasons a merchant may be able to process a charge on your Mercury card above the limit you've set.
- Recurring Charge or Subscription: Recurring charges are usually subscription-based. If the merchant was authorized to charge you with the initial debit, this authorization persists even if you alter your limits. In these cases, we recommend contacting the merchant to cancel the recurring payment - you can always re-authorize with them at a later date by re-signing up.
- Force Posts: This occurs when a merchant uses a previous authorization code to push through a transaction. Governments and utilities use force posts most commonly, but they can also be used to refund money back to a canceled card.
- Pre-authorizations: Similar to recurring charges (because technically the recurring charges are all pre-authorized). The debit card infrastructure allows a merchant to change the final charged amount by up to 20% before it's automatically blocked. Think about paying at the pump or using a delivery service that charges an initial amount and then updates it to reflect tax or tips.
Regardless, if you believe a transaction is incorrect or fraudulent, we can help you resolve the situation.
The Mercury Debit Cards are issued by Choice Financial Group and Evolve Bank & Trust, Members FDIC, pursuant to licenses from Mastercard.
The IO Card is issued by Patriot Bank, Member FDIC, pursuant to a license from Mastercard.