EIN Documents Explained

EIN stands for Employer Identification Number. This is a number issued by the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and is used for filing your federal payroll taxes. Sometimes it is referred to as FEIN, or Federal Employer Identification Number.

There are several documents that contain your EIN, and all are issued by the IRS.
These are the documents we can accept to verify your EIN when you apply for a Mercury bank account:

  • Form CP575

  • Form 147c

  • A completed SS-4 (the returned version from the IRS)

Where to get an EIN

If you do not have an EIN, you can apply for one on the IRS website by clicking here. Once you successfully apply, you will be sent the Form CP575.


Here’s an example Form CP575:


What to do if a Form CP575 is lost

You can request a Form 147c from the IRS by calling 1-800-829-4933, which will act as a replacement form with all the necessary information.

Here’s an example Form 147c:

If you need more help with getting an EIN, or if you need help with your Mercury account, please contact help@mercury.com.

Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular