Dispute a debit card transaction
If it's within 60 days from the charge date, you can dispute a debit card transaction directly from your dashboard, either because you suspect it might be fraudulent or because you’re unable to resolve an issue with a merchant or service provider.
Disputing a fraudulent or unauthorized debit transaction
First, freeze your card through the Mercury dashboard. This will prevent further charges from going through if you suspect fraud.
Then do the following:
- Go to Transactions from your left sidebar menu.
- Find the transaction you want to dispute and click on it to open the transaction details.
- Click on the three dots icon in the bottom right of the transaction details card, and select Dispute Transaction.
- We’ll ask you a few questions and give you a chance to provide any additional info or documentation.
- Once you submit, our team will review the dispute and email you back with an update within a few business days. Depending on the outcome, they’ll be able to cancel and reissue cards as needed and get the fraudulent charges cleared up.
Disputing an authorized debit charge with a merchant or service provider
We usually recommend contacting the merchant directly to try and resolve the situation first.
Merchant disputes and chargebacks can take up to 90 days to reach a resolution, as the merchant is required by law to be given “ample time” to respond. Because of this, you might find a faster resolution by working with them directly.
If the merchant is unresponsive or unwilling to help, follow the steps above to dispute the charge and provide as much information as possible, including screenshots of your attempts to contact the merchant.
The Mercury Debit Cards are issued by Choice Financial Group and Evolve Bank & Trust, Members FDIC, pursuant to licenses from Mastercard.